NEWBERG, Ore. --- George Fox University Athletics and the Chehalem Park and Recreation District are excited to announce the third annual Bruin Sports Day. Girls and boys entering the second through eighth grade in the fall will have the opportunity to pick one of 11 sports to participate in an afternoon clinic, free of charge.
- Spending time with George Fox athletes
- Learning from college coaches
- A chance to play in a college facility, on the same fields and courts on which the Bruins play
- Meet the George Fox mascot, "Pennington"
- Take pictures and get autographs
- Learn skills and have fun
Wednesday, August 23, 2017, 12:30-3 p.m.
- Girls and boys entering second through eighth grades in the fall
- Check-in begins at 12:30 p.m. at the site of your sport
- Free: Sign up soon because space is limited
- Participants may only register for one sport
- Register in advance
Pick one of the following sports to participate in. Click the link to the sport to register online.
- Women's Soccer
- Men's Soccer
- Women's Tennis
- Men's Tennis
- Women's Golf
- Men's Golf
All registration needs to take place before Aug. 23. You can register online by clicking on one of the links listed above or in person at the Chehalem Aquatic and Fitness Center.
1802 Haworth Ave, Newberg, OR 97132
Phone: 503-538-7454, 503-537-2909
Participants may only select one sport and must stay with that sport for the entirety of the event. Limited spots are available for each sport, but if space runs out it is likely that another sport may have openings.
Check-in will begin at 12:30 p.m. at the site of your sport on Aug. 23. You should receive confirmation after you register; it is always a good idea to bring a copy of that confirmation.
Participants should not arrive earlier than 12:30 p.m. and must be picked up by a parent/guardian, promptly at 3 p.m. George Fox student-athletes and coaches will begin their practices immediately following Sports Day and will not have the ability to provide supervision after 3 p.m.
- Women's & Men's Soccer – Austin Sports Complex – 2200 N. Center St.
- Football – Stoffer Family Stadium (in the end zone opposite scoreboard) – 1150 Fulton St.
- Cheerleading – Stoffer Family Stadium (in end zone under the scoreboard) – 1150 Fulton St.
- Volleyball – Wheeler Gymnasium (park in lot and walk across the bridge) – 1504 Fulton St.
- Women's & Men's Tennis – George Fox Tennis Courts (park in lot and walk toward the large football scoreboard) – 1150 Fulton St.
- Women's & Men's Golf – Chehalem Glenn Golf Course – 4501 E. Fernwood Rd
- Softball – Morse Athletic Complex (located behind baseball field) – 1504 Fulton St.
- Baseball – Morse Athletic Complex – 1504 Fulton St.
No matter what sport you chose, come ready to run around and have fun! Participants should wear athletic shoes and clothes that they feel comfortable running and being active in. If the sport requires extra gear or equipment, please bring it (see the list below), but make sure it is marked with the participant's initials. If you do not own the gear or equipment for your sport, that's OK! Come anyway. See the list below for suggested equipment:
- Soccer: shin guards, socks (no cleats)
- Football: athletic clothes (no cleats, no helmets, no shoulder pads)
- Cheerleading: athletic shoes
- Volleyball: kneepads
- Softball: glove
- Baseball: glove
- Tennis: racquet
Participants who wear cleats or spikes will not be allowed on the turf, grass or track surfaces. Normal athletic shoes will work great for the day.
- Please arrive ready to participate in physical activity. Wear clothes and shoes that you can run in and will be weather appropriate. It could be very warm, or it could be raining.
- Water bottle with participant's initials
- Do not bring your own ball. We will provide footballs, soccer balls, baseballs, softballs and volleyballs.
- Softball and baseball participants should bring their own glove if they have one. If not, extras will be provided.
- Tennis participants should bring their own racquet if they have one. If not, extras will be provided.
If you have any questions, please contact Chehalem Parks and Rec at 503-537-2909.