- 3 NAIA National Tournaments (1973, 1990, 1992)
- 1 NAIA District Championship (1990)
- 22 NAIA District Tournaments
- 3 NAIA Top 25 National Rankings (1990, 1991, 1992)
- 3 Northwest Conference Tournaments (1998, 2010, 2013)
- 2 Cascade Conference Tournaments (1994, 1995)
- 2 NCCAA National Tournaments (1985, 1987)
- 7 NCCAA Regional Tournaments (1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988)
- 1 NCCAA National Coach of the Year
- 3 NAIA District Coaches of the Year
- 2 Northwest Conference Coaches of the Year
- 17 All-Americans
- 3 NBA Draft Picks
Field Goal %
Pts off Turnovers
2nd Chance Pts
Pts in the Paint
A Winning Tradition
Photo Taken By: Joshua Moczygemba
By Jake Bienvenue
SAN ANTONIO, Texas --- The George Fox men's basketball team traveled to San Antonio Saturday to take on the Pirates of Southwestern, winning the first game of the Leslie Robinson Memorial Classic with a score of 84-74.
The Bruins jumped out to a 9-5 lead in the first five minutes of play thanks to the hot 3-point shooting of the offense, making three of their first five attempts from beyond the arc.
The opposing team traded shots and stayed close through the first 10 minutes of the half, but the remaining time was another story as the George Fox offense began to pull away thanks to the hot shooting from the Bruins.
The Bruins shot an outstanding 50 percent from the 3-point line in the first half, earning a 41-34 lead headed into the break.
The Pirates kept the game close early in the second half, but the shooting of George Fox again proved too much to handle. The Bruins stretched the lead to double-digits in the first 10 minutes behind a balanced offensive assault led by JJ Lacey and Thomas Rico.
The Pirates scored eight points in the final two minutes of play but were unable to surmount the lead as the time ran out, falling to the Bruins 84-74.
The Bruins earned an all-around team win with six players in double-digits. Lacey led the offense with 18 points on only 14 shots. Sophomore Ryan Thistlewood shot a blistering 3-4 from beyond the arc, tallying 13 points. Johnathan Doutt and Green-Richards provided a spark off the bench with 11 and 12 points respectively.
What it Means:
The Bruins improve to 4-5 on the season.
The Bruins play Trinity University Sunday at 1 p.m. in the second game of the Leslie Robinson Memorial Classic.