- 5 NCAA D-III National Championship Tournaments (2010-8th; 2011-12th; 2012-7th; 2013-4th; 2014-9th)
- 5 Northwest Conference Champions (2010; 2011; 2012; 2013; 2014)
- 5 Top 25 National Rankings (2010-7th; 2011-7th; 2012-7th; 2013-5th; 2014-10th)
- 6 straight winning seasons (2009-14)
- 461-155 (.748), 43 tournament wins in program's 8 seasons
- 5 All-Americans, 10 All-West Region players, 19 All-Conference players
- One PING National Player of the Year
- One WGCA National Freshman of the Year
- 4 NWC Players of the Year
- One West Region Coach of the Year award
- 3 NWC Coach of the Year awards
- 5 NGCA All-American Scholars, 3 Academic All-District student-athletes
ST. MARTINS INVITATIONAL: Bruins 3rd after Day One of St. Martins Tournament
OLYMPIA, Wash. - Up against some of the best teams from the NAIA and the NCAA Division II, the George Fox University Bruins stand in third place and only one stroke out of a tie for second after the first day of play in the St. Martin’s University Invitational women’s golf tournament Monday here at the Olympia Country Club.
The Bruins, who are ranked No. 9 in the NCAA Division III women’s golf national poll by Golf World magazine and the National Golf Coaches Association, carded a 322 on the par 72 course. Western Washington University shot a 309 to take the lead, with the University of Victoria second at 321. After George Fox came host St. Martin’s at 325, California State University-East Bay at 338, Simon Fraser University at 355, and the University of Puget Sound at 367.
Sarah Askin led the Bruins with a 37-40=77, good for third place on the leaderboard. One stroke back, in a tie for fourth, was Kelsey Morrison with a 37-41=78. Also counting for the Bruins were Brianna Nap with a 41-42=83, tied for 17th, and Mandy Cameron with a 42-42=84, tied for 19th. Other George Fox scores included a 44-45=89 for Jill Westendorf and a 41-48=89 for Abby Mann, tied for 27th.
“We’re excited to be in the final pairings tomorrow competing against some very strong D-II and NAIA schools,” said Bruins head coach MaryJo McCloskey. “It is a great experience for our team to be here and to have this opportunity.”
Ahead of the Bruins, Western Washington is currently third in the Golfstat.com statistical rankings and 12th in the national D-II coaches’ poll, while the University of Victoria was ranked 13th in the NAIA at the end of last season. Behind the Bruins, St. Martin’s is ranked 25th in D-II by Golfstat.com, while Cal State-East Bay, which is in the process of moving to D-II, is presently ranked fifth by Golfstat and 20th in the D-III coaches’ poll.
The St. Martin’s Invitational concludes Tuesday, with tee times to be announced.
Complete results of the first day of the St. Martin’s Invitational, courtesy of the St. Martin’s sports information office, are available on line on the George Fox women’s golf web site at http://athletics.georgefox.edu/sports/wgolf/2010-11/files/1004.pdf.