- 6 NCAA D-III National Championship Tournaments (2010-8th; 2011-12th; 2012-7th; 2013-4th; 2014-9th; 2015-6th)
- 7 Northwest Conference Champions (2010; 2011; 2012; 2013; 2014; 2015; 2016)
- 7 Top 25 National Rankings (2010-7th; 2011-7th; 2012-7th; 2013-5th; 2014-10th; 2015 - 2nd; 2016-2nd)
- 8 straight winning seasons (2009-16)
- 461-155 (.748), 48 tournament wins in program's 9 seasons
- 8 All-Americans, 13 All-West Region players, 23 All-Conference players
- Two PING National Player of the Year (Kelsey Morrison, 2013; Sydney Maluenda, 2015)
- One WGCA National Freshman of the Year (Sydney Maluenda, 2014)
- 6 NWC Players of the Year
- One West Region Coach of the Year award
- 4 NWC Coach of the Year awards
- 5 NGCA All-American Scholars, 3 Academic All-District student-athletes
- 4 Academic All-Americans
A Winning Tradition
ALOHA, Ore. – Repeating as champions in the second annual Culturame Women’s Golf Classic, the University of Hawai’i-Hilo Vulcans shot a two-day score of 299-302=601 to finish 23 strokes ahead of the host and runner-up George Fox University Bruins as the tournament concluded Saturday afternoon here at The Reserve Vineyards and Golf Club.
Hawai’i-Hilo won the Classic with a 17-over-par score. George Fox, ranked eighth in the NCAA Division III national poll, knocked six strokes off its first-day score and finished with a 315-309=624 to come in second to the NCAA Division II Vulcans for the second year in a row. Linfield College was third with a 329-351=680, followed by Biola University at 341-363=702, Willamette University at 362-355=717, Northwest Christian University at 363-356=719, and Pacific University at 372-385=757. Lewis & Clark College and Simpson University had individuals playing, but did not have a foursome necessary for a team score.
Dayna Bersamin of UHH, last year’s medalist, shot a one-under-par 72 on the par-73, 5,820-yard South Course on Saturday and reclaimed her crown with an even-par 74-72=146. Teammate and first-day leader Kristen Sawada slipped back to second with a 73-77=150, while three players tied for third: Nyssa Aoki of UHH at 76-75=151, Kelsey Morrison of George Fox at 74-77=151, and Megan McGrew of George Fox at 75-76=151.
Also scoring on Saturday for the Bruins were Loreece Magsanide with a final score of 81-78=159 (tied for eighth), and Abby Mann with an 85-78=163 (tied for 11th). Lanee Danforth carded a 91-90=181 to finish 26th. Bruins playing as individuals were Whitney Jammerman, who shot an 84-88=172 (19th), and Laura Haun, who scored a 116-109=225 (39th) in her first tournament.
“The course played more difficult today than the first
day,” noted George Fox coach MaryJo McCloskey, “with
tougher pin positions and a little wetter fairways. However,
our team played really well and we posted our best round of the
season, with four scores in the 70's. I was really pleased
with how our team responded, especially without one of our top
juniors, Jill Westendorf, out ill. It's nice having solid
players who can step in.”
Complete results of the Culturame Classic are available on line on the George Fox women’s golf web site at http://athletics.georgefox.edu/sports/wgolf/2011-12/files/1015.htm.
NEXT: George Fox will join all the other Northwest Conference teams for the final event of the 2011-12 fall golf season, the NWC Women’s Fall Classic, at the Heron Lakes Golf Course in Portland, Ore., on Saturday-Sunday, Oct. 22-23. Tee times will be announced ... “We are looking forward to our last tournament of the fall season next weekend,” said McCloskey, whose Bruins are the defending Fall Classic champions, “and the goal will be to improve even more.” ... The NWC Men’s Fall Classic will be held at the same time at Heron Lakes. The women will play the Greenback Course, while the men will tackle the Great Blue Course.