George Fox University's athletics department and the Chehalem Parks and Recreation District are excited to announce the fifth annual Bruins Sports Day. Girls and boys entering the second through eighth grades in the fall will have the opportunity to pick one of 11 sports to participate in in an afternoon clinic, free of charge.
The afternoon will be spent learning basic skills from members of the George Fox athletic teams and coaching staff. Come and enjoy a fun-filled day on the beautiful campus of George Fox University.
Here's what to look forward to:
- Spending time with George Fox athletes
- Learning from college coaches
- A chance to play in a college facility, on the same location where the Bruins play
- Meet the George Fox mascot, Pennington Bear
- Take pictures and get autographs
- Learn skills and have fun
- Tuesday, Aug. 20, 12:30-3 p.m.
- For girls and boys entering grades 2-8 in the fall
- Check-in begins at 12:30 p.m. at the site of your sport
- Participation is free (sign up soon, because space is limited)
- Participants may only register for one sport
- Register in advance
Pick one of the following sports to participate in.
Click the link below the sport to register online. All registration needs to take place prior to Aug. 20.
You can register online by clicking on one of the links listed above or in person at the Chehalem Aquatic and Fitness Center.
1802 Haworth Ave, Newberg, OR 97132
Phone: 503-538-7454, 503-537-2909
Participants may only select one sport and must stay with that sport for the entirety of the event. Limited spots are available for each sport, but if space runs out it is likely that another sport may have openings.
Check in will begin at 12:30 p.m. at the site of your sport on Aug. 20, 2019. You should receive confirmation after you register; it is always a good idea to bring a copy of that confirmation.
Participants should not arrive earlier than 12:30 p.m. and must be picked up by a parent/guardian, promptly at 3 p.m. George Fox student-athletes and coaches will begin their practices immediately following Sports Day and will not have the ability to provide supervision after 3 p.m.
- Girls & Boys Soccer: Austin Sports Complex, 2200 N. Center St., Newberg
- Football: Stoffer Family Stadium (in the end zone opposite scoreboard), 1150 Fulton St., Newberg
- Girls' & Boys' Basketball: Wheeler Gymnasium (park in lot and walk across the bridge), 1504 Fulton St., Newberg
- Girls' & Boys' Tennis: Multi-use Tennis Facility (new!), 1953 N. Center St., Newberg
- Softball: Morse Athletic Complex's softball field, 1101 N. Villa Road, Newberg
- Baseball: Morse Athletic Complex's baseball field, 1504 Fulton St., Newberg
- Girls' Lacrosse: Morse Athletic Complex's grass field, 1101 N. Villa Road, Newberg
- Cheerleading: Stoffer Family Stadium (in the end zone on scoreboard side), 1150 Fulton St., Newberg
What to Wear
No matter what sport you choose, come ready to run around and have fun! Participants should wear athletic shoes and clothes that they feel comfortable running and being active in. If the sport requires extra gear or equipment, please bring it (see the list below), but make sure it is marked with the participant's initials. If you do not own the gear or equipment for your sport, that's ok! You can still participate. See the list below for suggested equipment:
- Soccer: shin guards, socks (no cleats)
- Football: athletic clothes (no cleats, no helmets, no shoulder pads)
- Cheerleading: athletic shoes
- Basketball: athletic shoes
- Softball: bat and glove
- Baseball: bat and glove
- Tennis: racquet
- Lacrosse: athletic shoes and stick if you have one
DO NOT WEAR CLEATS OR SPIKES – TENNIS SHOES ONLY
Participants who wear cleats or spikes will not be allowed on the turf, grass or track surfaces. Normal athletic shoes will work great for the day.
What to Bring
- Please arrive ready to participate in physical activity. Wear clothes and shoes that you can run in and will be weather appropriate. It could be very warm, or it could be raining.
- Water bottle with participant's initials
- Do not bring your own ball. We will provide footballs, soccer balls, baseballs and softballs.
- Softball and baseball participants should bring their own bat and glove if they have one; if not, extras will be provided.
- Tennis participants should bring their own racquet if they have one; if not, extras will be provided.
- Lacrosse participants should bring their own stick if they have one; if not, extras will be provided.
If you have any questions, please contact Chehalem Parks and Recreation at 503-537-2909.