Feb 09, 2018

Bruins Nearly Pull Off Upset Over No. 4 Pirates In OT

A Winning Tradition

  • Three NAIA National Tournaments (1973, 1990, 1992)
  • Two NAIA District Championship (1973, 1990)
  • 22 NAIA District Tournaments
  • Three NAIA Top 25 National Rankings (1990, 1991, 1992)
  • Four Northwest Conference Tournaments (1997-1998, 2009-2010, 2012-2013, 2016-17)
  • Two Cascade Conference Tournaments (1994, 1995)
  • Two NCCAA National Tournaments (1985, 1987)
  • Seven NCCAA Regional Tournaments (1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988)
  • One NCCAA National Coach of the Year
  • Three NAIA District Coaches of the Year
  • Two Northwest Conference Coaches of the Year
  • 17 All-Americans
  • Three NBA Draft Picks  

Photo Taken By: Shelby Byerly

By: Alex Plusquellec

NEWBERG, Ore. --- Mason Green-Richards poured in 28 points, but the George Fox men's basketball team could not pull off the upset against the No. 4-ranked Whitworth Pirates Friday night, falling in overtime, 101-98.


Green-Richards scored five of the first 10 for the Bruins, who held the lead after the opening minutes. After the Bruins controlled the pace to open things up, the Pirates settled in and put together an 8-0 run to grab a 16-10 lead.

Despite trailing by as much as nine in the first half, the Bruins hung tough with one of the nation's best. Jonathan Doutt and Green-Richards knocked down back to back three pointers to cut the Pirate lead to five. Michael Mercado-Smith's layup made the score 33-32 Whitworth before another Green-Richards' three helped the Bruins regain the lead.

After the Bruins reinserted themselves, the two sides went back and forth for the remainder of the half. Thomas Rico knocked down a big three just before the half to break a tie and give the Bruins a 47-44 going into the break.

The Bruins continued their efficient play to open the second half, holding a 53-48 lead at the 16 minute mark. That lead quickly grew to 11 after back to back three pointers by Kyle Reece, and controlled the pace late into the second half.

With 8:24 left to play the Pirates cut the Bruin lead to 70-65, but the Bruins came out of a timeout and regained a 74-67 advantage.

Whitworth remained destined to keep things close, tying the game 80-80 with 2:13 to play. Doutt responded with a huge three to break the tie but again the Pirates kept things close.

After two Dylan Hamlett free throws gave the Bruins an 85-83 lead, a three pointer gave Whitworth its first lead of the second half, 86-85. With 24 seconds to play, Ryan Lacey found himself at the line shooting one-and-one. After knocking down both, the Bruins and Pirates finished regulation tied at 87-87.

Green-Richards got the Bruins started in overtime with a three pointer, but the Pirates matched it to tie the game 90-90. After trading buckets, Lacey's layup with 19 seconds left brought the Bruins to within one, 99-98.

After breaking the press of the Bruins, the Pirates converted a layup to push the lead to 101-98. Needing a three to tie in the final seconds, the Bruins could not find the bottom of the net, and the Pirates escaped with the 101-98 road victory.

Top Performers:

Green-Richards' game-high 28 points and four steals led the way for the Bruins. Rico added 15 points and seven assists while Doutt, Hamlett and Lacey each added 10 points.

What It Means:

The close loss brings the Bruins to 6-16 overall and 2-9 in the NWC.

What Comes Next:

The Bruins return to Taylor Court Saturday night as they are set to take on No. 1 Whitman. Tip is set for 6 p.m.