Sep 01, 2017

Bruins Fall Late In Overtime

A Winning Tradition

  • Two NCCAA National Championships (1988, 1990)
  • Four NCCAA National Tournaments (1986, 1987, 1988, 1990)
  • Four NCCAA District/Regional Championships (1986, 1987, 1988, 1990)
  • Six NCCAA District/Regional Tournaments (1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990)
  • One NAIA National Tournament (1993)
  • One NAIA Regional/Area Championship (1993)
  • Three NAIA Regional/Area Tournaments (1993, 1996, 1998)
  • Two NAIA District Championships (1990, 1993)
  • Five NAIA District Tournaments (1988, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993)
  • Two Northwest Conference Tournaments (1995, 1996)
  • One Cascade Conference Tournament (1994)
  • Four NAIA Top 25 National Rankings (1992, 1993, 1994, 1995)
  • One NCCAA National Player of the Year (Dan LaVeine, 1990)
  • One NSCAA/Umbro National Goalkeeper of the Year (Jeff Nelson, 1994)
  • One NAIA Area Coach of the Year
  • One NAIA District Coach of the Year
  • 34 All-Americans 
  • 16 Academic All-Americans 
  • 11 players signed to professional contracts

IRVING, Texas --- The George Fox men's soccer team opened up its season on the road Friday night, as the Bruins almost pulled off a late night comeback in overtime, but fell 2-1 against the University of Dallas.


The Crusaders were the first to get on the board after finding the back of the net in the 5th minute. The Bruins settled in soon after, though, and traded shots back and forth with the Crusaders for most of the first half.

Both teams went into the half with the score standing still in favor of the Crusaders, 1-0.

With a 1-0 deficit, the Bruins looked to strike early in the second half. Junior forward Moises Manon tied the game up in the 51st minute with a tricky shot that beat the keeper on the top left of the frame. The Bruins' backline kept the Crusaders at bay, frustrating the home team with a couple of key saves by goalkeeper Austin Burdick.

The Bruins had a couple of late chances to close out the game with shots from Grant Basquez and Trevor Martin, but Crusaders' keeper Sean Carlin kept the game alive.

After 90 minutes of play, the score was still tied up at 1-1, and both teams returned to the pitch for the first overtime. Manon had his shot blocked in the 92nd minute, and the Crusaders used that opportunity to go on a counterstrike. Dallas secured the victory three minutes later after a shot was rebounded to the center of the box. Crusaders' Nat Kajiwara placed the ball in the right lower corner for the game-winner.

Top Performers:

Manon led the charge with nine shots, five of which were on goal. He also finished the game with the first goal of the season for the Bruins.

What Comes Next:

The Bruins continue their Texas trip with a game against Austin Saturday, Sept. 2, at 3p.m.