- 8 Northwest Conference Championships - Women (2000, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2017, 2018)
- 2 Northwest Conference Championship - Men (2017, 2018)
- 10 Conference / District Coaches of the Year
- 130 All-Americans (68 men, 62 women)
- 8 Men's National Champions (5 NAIA, 3 NCAA)
- 13 Women's National Champions (2 USTFF, 7 NAIA, 4 NCAA)
- 38 Academic All-Americans (17 men, 21 women)
- 1 Academic All-American of the Year (Ryan Chaney, 1997)
- 5 Ad Rutschman Small College Athlete of the Year Finalists (Annie Wright - 2018 & 2019, Irene Johnson - 2011, Joel Krebs - 2007, Michelle Forbes - 2004)
- 1 Ad Rutschman Small College Athlete of the Year (Annie Wright, 2019)
- 1 George Pasero Team of the Year (2018)
- 1 Bill Hayward Amateur Athlete of the Year - Female Finalists (Jill Beals - 1992)
- 1 Cascade Conference Men's Championship (1995)
- 2 NAIA District Men's Championships (1979, 1980)
- 12 NAIA Women's National Meets (4 Top 10 finishes)
- 1 NAIA Women's District Championships (1992)
- 1 NAIA Female Athlete of the Year (Nancy Rismiller, 1996)
- 2 Women's Conference of Independent Colleges Championships (1979, 1980)
- 1 Cascade Conference Women's Championship (1995)
A Winning Tradition
NEWBERG, Ore. – For the third consecutive year, George Fox University men’s cross country and track distance runner Joseph Pia has been named to the Capital One / CoSIDA Academic All-District VIII Men’s Track and Field/Cross Country Team for the NCAA Division III as voted on by the College Sports Information Directors of America.
Pia, a senior from Newberg, Ore., earned NCAA All-West Region honors in the 2013 fall cross country campaign as he cruised to a personal-best 25:55.13 in the West Region 8K Championships in Claremont, Calif., finishing 17th overall and for team scoring for the Bruins. He became the program’s first All-Region runner since Cam Eberhart finished 25th in the 2009 Regional (the top 35 finishers earn all-region honors). His effort, which ranks 22nd in George Fox history for an 8K race, led the Bruins to 252 team points and a ninth-place finish in the West out of 18 teams.
Pia was the Bruins’ top finisher in four of six cross country races this season, placing fifth overall in the Linfield Harrier Classic and the Big Wave Invitational in Hawai’i, and eighth in both the Northwest Classic and the George Fox Invitational. In his career, he was the Bruins’ first-place finisher 17 times in 21 races.
In track, Pia earned All-Northwest Conference honors by winning the men’s 1,500 meter run in the NWC Championships. His best time of 3:59.00 in the 1,500 at the Lewis & Clark Invitational ranked fourth in the conference this spring. In the NWC 5,000 meter run, he earned points for the Bruins, who finished fifth as a team, with a fourth-place individual finish, and posted a time of 14:50.24 in the Occidental Invitational 5,000 which was second in the NWC and fifth all-time at George Fox.
In the classroom, Pia compiled a grade point average of 3.98 over eight semesters, graduating in early May with a degree in Engineering. In addition to being named to the Academic All-District VIII Teams in 2011-12 and 2012-13, he was also named to the Capital One / CoSIDA Academic All-America Third Team for Division III as a sophomore.
As a member of the Academic All-District Team, Pia is automatically submitted for consideration for the Academic All-America Team, which will be chosen soon by members of CoSIDA’s Academic All-America Committee. Candidates for Academic All-District and All-America honors must be at least a sophomore, have one full year at their current institutions, be a regular or significant contributor to their athletic program, and have a cumulative grade point average of 3.30 or higher. Sports information directors vote on athletes in their district only. District VIII of CoSIDA consists of all sports information directors and other college sports media relations personnel from the Great Plains states, Iowa, and Louisiana west.
This is the fourth year for the CoSIDA Academic All-America program to be sponsored by Capital One. The complete lists of Academic All-America and All-District Teams for this year and past years may be found on the CoSIDA website at http://www.cosida.com/Awards/allamerica.aspx.