- Eight NAIA Men's National Meets (5 Top 10 finishes)
- Five NAIA District Men's Championships (1977, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992)
- One NCCAA Women's National Championship (1988)
- Nine NAIA Women's National Meets (6 Top 10 finishes)
- Six NAIA Women's District Championships (1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993)
- One Cascade Conference Women's Championship (1994)
- Two NAIA Region Coaches of the Year
- 10 Conference / District Coaches of the Year
- 23 All-Americans (6 men, 17 women)
- 53 Academic All-Americans (18 men, 35 women)
A Winning Tradition
NEWBERG, Ore. – After earning NCAA Division III All-West Region honors in the West Regional 8K men’s race on Nov. 16, George Fox University cross country runner Joseph Pia has been named the Bruin Athletic Club Men’s Co-Athlete of the Week for Nov. 11-17, sharing the honor with Bruin basketball player A.J. Grant.
Pia, a senior from Newberg, Ore., cruised to an all-time personal best time of 25:55.13, finishing 17th overall and for team scoring for the Bruins. He became the Bruins’ first All-Region runner since Cam Eberhart finished 25th in the 2009 West Regional (the top 35 finishers earn all-region honors). His time places him 22nd on the all-time George Fox list for 8K races. His efforts helped the Bruin earn 252 points in the race at the Pomona-Pitzer Colleges course in Claremont, Calif.
This is the fourth time this season that Pia earned BAC weekly honors, also being honored for Sept. 9-15, Sept. 16-22, and Oct. 7-13. He shared this week’s award with A.J. Grant, who averaged 19.5 points a game and sank 13 three-point field goals as the Bruins opened their men’s basketball season by going 2-0 in the Lee Fulmer Tip-Off Classic in Redlands, Calif.
Pia also received honorable mention for the Northwest Conference Men’s Cross Country Student-Athlete of the Week three times thi fall, for Sept. 9-15, Sept. 16-22, and Oct. 7-13.
In his career, Pia competed in 21 races for the Bruins and was the team’s top finisher in 17 of them. He won two races, the GFU Bear Fete on Oct. 1, 2011, and the GFU-Pacific Dual on Sept. 1, 2012, and posted five top five finishes and nine top 10 finishes. He earned All-Northwest Conference honors in 2012 by placing fifth in the NWC Championships.
The mission of George Fox University’s Bruin Athletic Club is to provide student-athletes with an outstanding athletic and academic experience and to strengthen the overall competitiveness of the Bruin athletics program. The club is a support organization for the Bruins’ 17 NCAA Division III varsity sports teams and the 400-plus students who participate in athletics each year. The BAC Athlete of the Week Award for both men and women is presented throughout the sports seasons to recognize and honor outstanding athletic achievements and records by Bruin student-athletes.
2013-14 Bruin Athletic Club Men’s Athletes of the Week
Aug. 26-Sept. 1 - Myles Sorokovsky (Soccer)
Sept. 2-8 - Sawyer Meek (Soccer)
Sept. 9-15 - Joseph Pia (Cross Country)
Sept. 16-22 - Joseph Pia (Cross Country)
Sept. 23-29 - Chris Lilley (Tennis)
Sept. 30-Oct. 6 - Luke Hammer (Soccer)
Oct. 7-13 - Joseph Pia (Cross Country)
Oct. 14-20 – Joel Schierman (Soccer)
Oct. 21-27 - Luke Hammer (Soccer)
Oct. 28-Nov. 3 - Kody Tarbell (Cross Country)
Nov. 4-10 - Erik Davies (Soccer)
Nov. 11-17 - Joseph Pia (Cross Country), A.J. Grant (Basketball)
* 2013 Men’s Cross Country Honors *
- Northwest Conference Men’s Student-Athlete of the Week - Sept. 2-8 (HM); Sept. 30-Oct. 6 (HM)
- Bruin Athletic Club Men’s Athlete of the Week - Oct. 28-Nov. 3
- Northwest Conference Men’s Student-Athlete of the Week - Sept. 9-15 (HM); Sept. 16-22 (HM); Oct. 7-13 (HM)
- Bruin Athletic Club Men’s Athlete of the Week - Sept. 9-15; Sept. 16-22; Oct. 7-13; Nov. 11-17
* 2013 Women’s Cross Country Honors *
- Northwest Conference Women’s Student-Athlete of the Week - Sept. 2-8 (HM); Sept. 9-15 (HM); Sept. 30-Oct. 6; Oct. 7-13 (HM)
- Bruin Athletic Club Women’s Athlete of the Week - Oct. 7-13
- Northwest Conference Women’s Student-Athlete of the Week - Sept. 16-22 (HM)
- Bruin Athletic Club Women’s Athlete of the Week - Sept. 16-22